Looking to extend your booking season beyond the high summer season? If priced appropriately and marketed well, your home can provide you with some additional revenue with very little added effort.
The word is out!
Most of us who own homes on the Cape and Islands are very aware of what an ideal time of year fall is to be here: the crowds and traffic have finally diminished, the water is still warm, the air is cool and dry at night and often sunny and mild during the day, and the lighting and scenery can be exquisite.
Vacationers, too, are steadily growing to appreciate the value of spending time here then and are rewarded by considerably lower prices as well. Fall bookings continue to increase by double digits year after year. So, unless you’re anxious to reclaim your home as soon as Labor Day Weekend arrives, let us help you to take advantage of this opportunity to extend your booking season.
Tips to market your home for fall rentals
- Add information to your listing to promote the advantages of visiting in the fall (and spring). Modify your property description, temporarily change the title, and add some pictures of fall events, for example. (Just be sure to remember to restore them to summer-appropriate renting after the fall booking season ends).
- If your minimum stay requirement is currently 7 nights, consider shortening it to 2 or 3 nights – but charge enough on a nightly basis to make the shorter stays worthwhile to you.
- Small homes rent more easily during the off season than large ones, so if you have a large home, shut off some of the bedrooms, or simply advertise it as a smaller home.
- Suggest a Fall Getaway, a Girls Weekend, or a Guys Fishing Trip – reminding vacationers of the aforementioned warm, sunny days and cool nights, diminished crowds at beaches and restaurants, warm waters, and lower rates.
- Appeal to wedding guests. There has been a significant rise in spring and fall weddings on the Cape and Islands over the past few years, so you might suggest your home as a more affordable alternative to hotels and inns. Offer flexible arrival and departure days to accommodate their schedule.
- Appeal to golfers. The Cape and Islands offer numerous public courses, especially in the off season. Offer a gift certificate to one near you for a round of golf. Include a picture of the nearest public golf course.
- Appeal to kayakers and bicycle enthusiasts. It’s such a great time of year for both. Are there launching spots for kayaks near you? How far is the nearest bike path?
- Promote local activities and events. Check our Vacation Planner to find fishing tournaments, flower shows, road races, harvest festivals, seafood fests, and craft shows near your home.
- Offer a gift certificate to a local restaurant or tickets to a whale watch.
Boosting your fall marketing efforts
Using a couple of features on our site will make your listing stand out from others and entice vacationers to view all your clever changes!
- Set up a free Owner Special promoting either a specific price reduction or an incentive of some kind (like a gift certificate or an extra night free).
- As soon as the available weeks are within the next month, boost your free Owner Special with a Last-minute Availability Alert.