Last spring, WeNeedaVacation.com embarked on a new and exciting project. Together with interior designer Joanie Landers of RefreshRentalsCapeCod.com, we completed a home makeover of a Harwich vacation rental. Our goal was to show that some inexpensive home improvements, along with freshening up and decluttering, can make a dramatic difference in creating a welcoming and comfortable experience for guests and vastly improve the owner’s booking results.
Here are the tasks that we tackled:
- Removed some extra furniture to help the rooms feel larger
- Painted a few pieces of furniture to provide a fresher, brighter décor
- Purchased new throw pillows, wall art, and area rug
- Painted two rooms
- Removed personal items such as photographs and photo albums
- Decluttered cabinets and shelves – less is more!
- Replaced tired looking lampshades and curtains
So here it is – a 2-month Home Makeover, costing less than $3,000, and leading to an increase in vacation rental revenue!
Before and After Photos of Dining Room
Before and After Photos of Living Room
Midway through the summer, the homeowner told us that she had booked more weeks and received nine more inquiries than during the same time the previous year.
Here is how the homeowner summarized the results: